More smokers are asking us, are electronic cigarettes safe for you or not? In 2013, more smokers switched to e-cigarettes to lower health damage from standard tobacco cigarettes.
At this site, we trying to provide you with the latest information about e cigarette safety. We actively update the site when new information becomes available.
There are a lot of e-cig’s today on the market. You can find a huge list of electronic cigarette reviews on the top brands online. All this products use the same concept and manufacturing process. Many makers are providing a free smokeless cigars starter kit to entice smokers to switch to this new product. Understandably, as their use grows, more information is demanded on electronic cigarette safety.
What is an electronic cigarette?
The main idea of electronic cigarettes is to provide smokers with an easy to use replacement (alternative) to tobacco cigarettes that will allow them to inhale the nicotine but without a lot of harmful components to the body. The best electric cigarette is really just a nicotine inhaler. With the help of an atomizer, it evaporates nicotine e-liquid (with flavor components) for easy inhalation.
Are electronic cigarettes safe or dangerous?
Let’s address the issue – Is e-liquid safe or not?
E-liquid safety – The Facts
E-liquid contains propylene glycol, nicotine and flavor components. We will review each component to determine its safety.
1. Since electronic cigarettes contain fewer harmful components (which also can exist in the flavor components) you can smoke more e-cigarettes than tobacco cigs. While harmful components in tobacco cigarettes prevent over smoking, this will not happen with smokeless cigs. A smoker gets a much higher nicotine dosage than with tobacco cigarette.
Standard nicotine side effects include decreased appetite, medullary depression, neurological blockade, tachycardia, hypertension, drowsiness, dizziness, increase of lipids in blood vessels, increased respiratory rate, and so on.
So, if you are over smoking electronic cigarettes, you will notice the side effects and your health could be more affected by the nicotine intake. You may also experience symptoms of a sore throat.
Conclusion: Do not over smoke your e-cigarette!
2. Propylene glycol safe? Propylene glycol has been used since 1951 in nebulizers and asthma inhalers, and the FDA included it in GRAS (Generally recognized as safe) list. So we can consider it as a safe component of this smoking device.
3. All of us know the dangers of nicotine, but some harmful components can be in your e-liquid flavor.
It well known that some e-liquids used in coffee and tiramisu flavors contain a few dangerous components. These flavors made from natural components were not intended for inhalation. Also, some Chinese-made e-liquids can contain chemical components and even monosodium glutamate (recognized as a cancer agent).
Later I will post a complete guide of harmful components in e-liquid flavors here. But only a few e-liquid manufacturers provide such important information about flavor components of e-liquid. So at the current time I recommend you only use e-liquids made in the USA or Europe. They are definitely safer than Chinese e-liquids.
You can check also another study on are electronic cigarettes safe or not.
Recent research on the safety of electronic cigarettes
1. 2008. Electronic cigarettes safety shock research by Thai doctors concluded that electronic cigarettes are not safe. However, no real facts were provided (except well-known nicotine side effects), and comparisons with nicotine gum resulted in a lack of trust, in the research.
2. 2009. The US FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) tested 19 varieties of e-liquids and their conclusion were that it is nicotine and should be marked with the appropriate health warnings. So FDA electronic cigarettes decision was it not harmful as tobacco cigs at that moment.
3. 2009. Health Canada issued advisories – “E-cigarettes still contain nicotine, so it not a safer alternative to smoking and may pose risks as nicotine addiction and nicotine poisoning”.
4. 2010. American Association of Public Health Physicians asked the FDA to reclassify electronic cigarettes as tobacco products.
5. 2010. The World Health Organization held a Tobacco Regulation meeting and came out with warnings about e-cigs (concluding they are not safer than smoking tobacco). Smokeless cigs were banned in Brazil, Thailand, Hong Kong & Saudi Arabia. However, the secretariat of the meeting refused to issue warnings worldwide. “Secretariat also mentioned that electronic cigarettes can be considered a medical product only IF the marketer wanted to make medical claims; otherwise they are a tobacco product.”
6. 2010. A Boston University School of Public health study concluded that e-cigarettes are safer than real tobacco cigarettes and can be a real aid in breaking the habit of smoking. “Electronic cigarettes were found to be ‘really safer’ than tobacco ones, and had a level of toxicity very similar to existing nicotine replacement aids”.
7. 2011. Cancer Research UK study concluded ‘For a real smoker, the health hazards of continuing to smoke greatly outweigh any potential risks of using standard nicotine replacement therapy as nicotine gum, etc.’
8. 2012. An electronic cigarette exploded in the mouth of a Florida man Tom Holloway. He lost a few teeth and part of his tongue. Explanation was – “It was a faulty battery”. At the current time, most of the American or European e-cigs comes with a warranty to prevent such situations.
2013 Note: Remember that no e-cigarette has yet been approved by the NRT, as a medicinal nicotine replacement therapy or smoking cessation product, or subject to the necessary clinical testing for such approval.
Conclusion: are electronic cigarettes safe or harmful? Yes, in 2013, they are pretty safe. If you do not over smoke and use proper safe e-liquid (with no harmful components in flavor components). Better to not use tiramisu/coffee and Chinese made e-liquids (like Dekang e-juice).
Check the Ego-T smokeless cigarettes review for made in USA e-Cigs and quality but cheap e cigarette liquid.
Hopefully, this review has answered the question, are electronic cigarettes safe or not.
Author : Leo